Hunter upgrade?

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
Of the three bikes using the new 350cc RE engine the Hunter has the best "racing" character. However 350 is 350 and in India and from RE that means serious lack of umpf. Of course doing a BIG BORE to 450 or even 500 -or rather whatever the engine body opening allows without tampering with it - crossed my mind early on. However problems with creating maps for the BS6 Hima Powertronic and the unavailability of a PT (or any other alternative ECU) for the new 350 engine kept me from entertaining such plans further. But now 2 things happened simultaneously: A Meteor with a seized piston came to the workshop so I get to measure the diameter of the opening once the cylinder is removed AND Racedynamics announced a PT for the 350 for early 2023.

So it seems there is a new game afoot!

20220807060517_WhatsApp Image 2022_08_07 at 5.59.44 PM.jpeg

I can see the appeal, but with only a PT on it your limited to 25% more fuel so not a 500!
Which is a pity because that would make it a Rocket.
Maybe one will turn up on fb with a bent sidecar:rolleyes:

We did determine that the Piston Pin is the same size didnt we ?

Of the three bikes using the new 350cc RE engine the Hunter has the best "racing" character. However 350 is 350 and in India and from RE that means serious lack of umpf. Of course doing a BIG BORE to 450 or even 500 -or rather whatever the engine body opening allows without tampering with it - crossed my mind early on. However problems with creating maps for the BS6 Hima Powertronic and the unavailability of a PT (or any other alternative ECU) for the new 350 engine kept me from entertaining such plans further. But now 2 things happened simultaneously: A Meteor with a seized piston came to the workshop so I get to measure the diameter of the opening once the cylinder is removed AND Racedynamics announced a PT for the 350 for early 2023.

So it seems there is a new game afoot!

View attachment 106
And ,,, How big is the Case opening ?

The replacement cylinder has not reached yet. RE supply chains seem really super slow these days, 4-6 weeks on average but sometimes even longer. we will be opening the engine only once we have the spares.

The Rear Disc is Bigger than the Himalayan ?

? My computer will not let me see that pdf, it is keeping me SAFE ?

works for me so yes, its your machine or maybe you dont have a pdf reader installed that is configured to auto open within the browser. are you using firefox? if not try that.

Frame
Frame type Twin Downtube Spine Frame
Dimensions
Weight in running order (Kg.) 181
Wheelbase (mm) 1370
Seat height (mm) 790
Ground clearance (mm) 150.5
Length x width x height (mm)
Engine
Number of cylinders 1
Bore x stroke (mm) 75 x 85.5
Cooling System Air-Oil Cooled
Displacement (cc) 349
Injection system ECU controlled
Valve gear / valves per cylinder 2
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Maximum power (Kw/HP-rpm) 14.87kW@6100 rpm
Maximum speed (mph) 114 km/h
Maximum torque (Nm/rpm) 27Nm@4000 rpm
CO2 emission (g/km) 64.03
Idle rpm
Noise Emission 76.1 dB(A) @ 3050 rpm?
Clutch Wet Multiplate
Secondary transmission Chain
Gearbox 5 Speed Constant Mesh
Starting System Electric
Engine Oil SAE 15W50 API SL Jaso
MA2 Semi-synthetic
Chassis and Brakes
Front wheel Alloy Wheel - 110/70 - 17" -
54P (Tubeless)
Rear wheel Alloy Wheel - 140/70 - 17" -
66P (Tubeless)
Front suspension Telescopic, 41mm forks - 130mm travel
Rear suspension Twin tube Emulsion shock absorbers
with 6-step adjustable preload. Travel 102mm
ABS Dual Channel
Front brake 300mm disc with twin piston floating caliper
Rear brake 270mm disc, single piston floating caliper

And ,,, How big is the Case opening ?
I did not follow up on that. after the abysimal bad turnover with the 477 set I am reluctant to sink money into yet another project. Its a risk I just can't take at the moment. I have smaller fish to fry and if they slip it does not break the bank. so maybe its something you would like to try, I can certainly be of assistance.

So the rear disc is 30mm larger in Diameter to the Himalayan, better Braking ! ?

That would involve me buying a 350 to do a stock run then build on that, as much as I like the look of that Meteor I cant see it happening unless I get one very cheap and that is highly unlikely, tho not impossible, might join FB :)

That would involve me buying a 350 to do a stock run then build on that, as much as I like the look of that Meteor I cant see it happening unless I get one very cheap and that is highly unlikely, tho not impossible, might join FB :)
well, no. at least not necessarily. You could be the "Elon Musk" of that project - basically remotely telling mechanics here what to do (and paying for it but Indian rates). May not be as much fun. Or maybe it is.

well, no. at least not necessarily. You could be the "Elon Musk" of that project - basically remotely telling mechanics here what to do (and paying for it but Indian rates). May not be as much fun. Or maybe it is.
It is a neat looking bike for sure but I really dislike the idea of the ECU being locked up in the Throttle Body.
If @Sasa buys one I might just also. :cool:

It is a neat looking bike for sure but I really dislike the idea of the ECU being locked up in the Throttle Body.
If @Sasa buys one I might just also. :cool:
mmmm I like the Hunter (or HNTR as it's called here in the EU) but the locked ECU is a big no no. It's the same very reason why I bought a my 2020 himalayan instead of a euro5 new one!
Also next RE purchase is going to be a C5 500 classic chrome, just to stare at it! :)

Also next RE purchase is going to be a C5 500 classic chrome, just to stare at it! :)
Good idea if you do the staring in your living room. Outside the chrome does not last that long. I avoid Indian Chrome whenever possible.

Yes I would vouch for that, My Cozy Side Car had various chrome racks and they rusted quickly, good chrome plating costs more.

Looked at a classic today, nice but the foot pegs are cruiser style so your feet are not under your arse, no good for pot holes 😁

Looked at a classic today, nice but the foot pegs are cruiser style so your feet are not under your arse, no good for pot holes 😁
No problem, it will be only looked at, not ridden! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

I'm kidding, I would use it occasionally to go to work (20kms one way...)

Well I would say, Go for it.:love:
It looks great will not throw you off and much more practical than a Donkey

Back