Engine seized on highway drive - can the crank still be used?

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
A friend from Greece contacted me on Whatsapp with this message:

Hello Sam, I am still in Greece and my bike is broken the engine was running without oil I didn’t realize it and the motor is burned, so I’m looking to see if I can buy a second hand motor in India, and I would like to ask you if you know someone that I can communicate to see if I can buy one from India!!
Thanks

I replied that IMO the issue is the crank: can it be used or is it fucked as well? The other parts would be most likely only the cylinder/piston set and maybe (pretty unlikely) the head (valves hit). But if the connecting rod and/or the crank is also damaged this engine IMO is a write off UNLESS he can do the work himself (unlikely) even with relatively cheaper mechanics in Greece.

I then called my mechanic who seems to think the crank will be affected in a full seizing (piston STUCK, engine not moving) whereas the owner of the RE workshop says the crank may still be OK.

So my opinion on this is:
1) is the piston still moving (even with some force but not fully stuck) -> exchange the cylinder and check how the engine runs and if it makes any funny noises from the crank
2) if the piston does not move at all check if you find a REALLY cheap mechanic who has nothing better to do at the moment and tell him the story, then get a firm price for a total repair. The parts from India with shipping will be in the ballpark of 450 euro with shipping - so the question if its worth it or not hinges on the mechanics bill.

anyone wants to share his input or has a different opinion or knows a cheap used engine somewhere in Europe?

Last edited:
btw: sending a used engine from India is not feasible - first of all nobody sells you an engine (everybody repairs or overhauls with the dirt cheap labor here) and second a complete engine is way too heavy for postal or EMS (35KG limit) so it needed to be shipped by container which is a major hassle and not cheap on the receiving end (harbor release fees) . From inside Europe it may be an option - from an accident bike.

I have checked ebay and "Kleinanzeigen" (classifieds). One in a very shabby condition on ebay for 924 euros - I would not buy that thing for half that money. Nothing on classifieds. So repair seems a valid option even for a bit of money.

Thank you for your help,🙏
currently I am in Island and my bike it’s in Athens, so for the moment I cannot check the engine from here but in March I will be in Athens and I will visit a mechanic to see if it’s worthy to repair or to let go!!

Back