Kickstart for the Hima

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
I will send you the STL of the idle gear asap. Since i know you have access to a 3D printer now :cool:
I might have to redesign it though because i think i can do better now...
the 3d print is plastic - will that do? I thought we are looking for metal in the real application (not a model). I can try to find an Indian manufacturer for the metal part

I also ordered an industry standard gear from china to keep things going. You can order even order the right bore size so it should directly fit to the gearbox axle. Lets see in which issues we run when this gear arrives. It's definately not the the price :)

sounds good, unfortunately most Chinese sources are unavailable in India like aliexpress etc. due to politics.

the 3d print is plastic - will that do? I thought we are looking for metal in the real application (not a model). I can try to find an Indian manufacturer for the metal part

sounds good, unfortunately most Chinese sources are unavailable in India like aliexpress etc. due to politicsJust
Just send you some files by email. Yes, we are looking for metal.
These sprockets are possibly available worldwide because they are industry standard, just like bearings i guess. I ordered them in china just for convenience

How is this?

anything here?

Picked up the clutch basket from the machining company today and also the chinese sprocket arrived.
The bad news is: i ordered the wrong number of teeth or i made a miscalulation...
The good news is: i think theses sprockets could work, the tooth design seems to fit quite well onto the clutch basket.
It's now a bit of trial and error to get the right number of teeth. So i ordered a new pair (also one for the driven gear to get that going as well).
When these sprockets work, it still requires a bunch of machining and possibly some welding. Plug and play aint no fun...

When these sprockets work, it still requires a bunch of machining and possibly some welding. Plug and play aint no fun...
is this needed until you figure out a working contraption or will it be necessary in each and every case (making it basically unsellable except for a chosen few who can weld and have access to machine shops)?

is this needed until you figure out a working contraption or will it be necessary in each and every case (making it basically unsellable except for a chosen few who can weld and have access to machine shops)?
Making this a sell-able (plug and play) package is a still a long way to go. After finishing the prototype, its more like a numbers/qualty/price game.
It all depends if we can cheaply manufacture the sprockets and the kickstarter shaft/mechanism which at this point require the most modifications. Access to a machine shop is necessary if a modified clutch cover is not supplied in the kit.
A positive view is that if the chinese sprockets work, it will be around the 100 euro mark for all the parts (including kickstarter). That should be a low enough threshold to keep the development interesting

Well, trial and error it was but the third time i got the right gear. Milled the hole today to the right size to fit onto the gearbox shaft.
And guess what, i think this could work! This weekend i will sacrifice (butcher) the clutch basket to have a better view at the gear combination.

As mentioned before i als ordered a gear for the mechanism and that appears to be first time right. I will modify that gear next weekend as well to check if it's definately the right size.
So if that also works than i have al the parts i need (apart from some bits and bobs and maybe a few bronze bushings) and it will be a matter of putting in the hours.

Sidenote: i also found a kickstarter arm with a better bend and was hoping to merge the two together. But you guessed it already, Honda made a slight design difference so again no plug and play. Well, i at least i have a sample now to modify the original item...

Definately another milestone in this project...
Main focus now will be on the idle gear. I willl fit a bronze bushing and mill the sprocket to the right dimensions.
Checking clearances and then the idle gear willl be good to go!

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_101942_722.jpg
    IMG_20240113_101942_722.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 41
Managed to put in some hours... Idle gear is finsihed! Even fitted a bronze bushing.
It's far from perfect but it will do for now (and possibly for a lifetime...)
Next challenge is the kickstart sprocket. I already started machining but those hardended teeth are tough. I'm busy getting better tooling for the lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_173137_056.jpg
    IMG_20240217_173137_056.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240217_173149_364.jpg
    IMG_20240217_173149_364.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • idlegear.mov
    1.6 MB
Well, this is interesting... If you look at my post from 21 jan 2023 (does it really take so long to develop a kickstarter?) you see a pic of the RH crankcase where the shaft should be mounted (and i ramble about it at #4) .
Last weekend i replaced clutch plates of my friends bike (BS3) and was quite surprised when i removed the clutch cover. The hole for the kickstarter shaft was already machined!
So my best guess is that BS3 or maybe all engines for the indian market have the machined hole and BS4 (export) models dont.

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_170728_390.jpg
    IMG_20240309_170728_390.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Furthermore, i invested in a 3D printer (thanks to Sam for giving me the final push!) which helpled a lot to get to this point.
I will need it for sure when starting on the 6-speed...
Already made some protoypes with it for the second sprocket.
So the kickstarter sprocket is almost ready now. When assembled it semi works at the moment already.
For anyone interested, this is still on the to-do list:
- machining 2 circlip grooves
- modifying end stop bracket
- return spring modification and mounting
- make a placeholder for the return spring
- make a spacer for sprocket on the kickstarter shaft

So my best guess is that BS3 or maybe all engines for the indian market have the machined hole and BS4 (export) models dont.

the one I sent to you was from a BS3 (Indian) did it have the hole?

Having some setbacks in project kickstarter. Waiting for a new sprocket to arrrive.
Let's make the best out of it and see if we can make a " bragging rights edition" .
So here it is... the first non working kickstarter on a Himalayan. Made a test-ride today to see if it is not leakinig oil or other issues.
Also fitted the idle gear alrready to check for noise (there wasnt any!) and so i can check for wear when installing the final kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_135139_271.jpg
    IMG_20240406_135139_271.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20240406_135152_520.jpg
    IMG_20240406_135152_520.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240406_135227_062.jpg
    IMG_20240406_135227_062.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45
Back